About Me

My photo
I am a Kid's/Youth Pastor serving at Island Gospel Tabernacle on the beautiful Cape Sable Island. I have an amazing girlfriend, Gabe. I can play pretty much any instrument and if I can't play it I want to learn. I'm a techno-geek.... and ya.. thats it!

13.11.10

The Loveliest of all was the Unicorn

The Irish Rovers were crazy, most always drunk yet brilliant song writers and musicians.
They wrote songs that almost everyone can recognize if they heard them but my favorite is one about 
a very special animal. It's called "The unicorn song".... the chorus goes like this...

"There was green alligators and long-necked geese 
Some humpty backed camels and some chimpanzees
Some cats and rats and elephants, but sure as you're born
The loveliest of all was the unicorn."

Now you may be wondering if I've slipped off my cracker completely or not. 
Why would I want to blog about a Unicorn? I have an answer for you... they are so cool :) 
I know they aren't real, but I think we can look at them from a neat perspective. 
I will explain this with a question. 

If you could choose to be one animal, what one would you choose to be?

Every animal has a purpose. My beautifully perfect, amazing girlfriend Gabe has been
studying food webs lately. Now I don't really understand all of it but she
has told me that it goes like this for instance. Starfish eat mussels, if the starfish was extinct the mussel population would go crazy. So the starfish is a "Keystone Species", if it were to go away it would mess things up. Now you know what a starfish does.

God has set up this beautiful universe in such an amazing way, if one "Keystone species" is gone, it will change everything. This is so much like all of us. We all have jobs to do in the Kingdom of God.

You may see someone who is a "Unicorn" in society. They have everything going for them, they have the cool looks, everyone looking at them, they stand out in a crowd, everyone wants to be like them. (I'll get back to these people in a second)

You may look at yourself as one of the "cats, rats or elephants". You aren't popular,  you are 
not the prettiest person, too big, too small, not the smartest one... and you know the rest of the names you call yourself. But God sees you differently, He sees you as His child. He has given you a job to do in His kingdom. You may not know what it is right so ask Him to show it to you. 
You will be more effective then the Unicorns. 

Now I'll come back to the unicorns.
The sad thing about "Unicorn people" is they are all alone. 
They may look like they have everything in order, but really they don't. 
They are hurting on the inside, they don't know Christ most of the time and they eventually just drift away and nobody will notice they are gone. They have so much potential to work for God, but 
they are so consumed with themselves that they can't work for someone else. They have to work for themselves, to make them look better. That is not the Lord's will.

God is looking for everyone to come to their true calling. Each of you who are reading this are "Keystone Species", if one is missing.. none will be the same. You may be a "cat, rat or elephant" but 
God has called you. Don't let the Unicorns tell you what you can do and not do.

Now you may be a unicorn who wants to come and change your ways.
God always gives second, third, 14,903,384,238,32 and infinite chances when we mess up. 
If you want to come to Him, He will welcome you with open arms and work on you.
He will take you in, and make you into a Horse. Get rid of that horn that makes you feel better about your social standing. Become a dedicated horse who wants to work for God. 

So why do you think there are no unicorns? I personally think it's so we can learn a lesson.

Be set apart.. but be set apart for the right reason.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to write to me at igtmatt@gmail.com.

-Pastor Matt




No comments:

Post a Comment