About Me

My photo
I am a Kid's/Youth Pastor serving at Island Gospel Tabernacle on the beautiful Cape Sable Island. I have an amazing girlfriend, Gabe. I can play pretty much any instrument and if I can't play it I want to learn. I'm a techno-geek.... and ya.. thats it!

21.10.10

Gotta be somebody


"So I'll be waiting for the real thing
I'll know it by the feeling
The moment when we're meeting will play out like a scene
Straight off the silver screen

So I'll be holding my own breath right up 'til the end
Until that moment when I find the one that I'll spend forever with

'Cause nobody wants to be the last one there
'Cause everyone wants to feel like someone cares
Someone to love with my life in their hands
There's gotta be somebody for me like that

-Nickelback "Gotta be somebody"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of you have probably heard this song at one point in time whether it be on the bus, in school, your ipod, on the radio or just on youtube. A lot of you just grab onto your heart and look out and stare at the moon and dream "oh maybe someday that person will come and sweep me off of my feet". Admit it, everyone has a dream like that. Don't be ashamed.. you should look forward to being loved by someone of the opposite sex. It is a normal thing that God made possible by creating Eve for Adam. 

Love is an amazing thing because like the song says "everyone wants to feel like someone cares". Knowing that someone, other than your family, loves you.. is something special. 

I used to go through life, much like many others, just looking to be loved by someone else. This has landed me in some bad situations, that I regret deeply. Getting to "date" someone, isn't hard for anyone. You can go up to someone and go out on a date like nothing, but is that really what you want? Maybe you can actually go the next stage and call them your "boyfriend or girlfriend"... I can hear it now... "Oh well I'm in love, we love each other, we will be married forever because we went to the next level and changed our facebook relationship status!!".  Do you want to just go on a date with someone, or just go out with them or do you want to love someone and have something special? 

Going back to me, I have gone out with some pretty weird people.. just to date them.. just to hopefully fill that hole. But from each situation I have left wishing I had that time back. I have landed myself into some pretty bad places and I could have ruined my life. But thank God, I didn't. I was with a girl, who cut herself because I wanted to leave her, because she was drinking, having sex with people and doing drugs and I found out that she obviously didn't love me.

(That's not a good relationship by the way)

So how do you know that you are with someone who loves you... who doesn't just want to date... but actually loves you? Do you date them for a particular amount of time? Do you sleep with them? Do you live with them? Do you drink together? Are any of those options what you think is what true love is? If so.. get both hands.. put them over each ear.. really do this if you think that ok? Get both hands.. put them over each ear.. and then shake your head, because thats a bad idea.

So what is love? If love was a baseball card, what would the stats be on the back? Well an ancient book written thousands of years ago.. called the bible says this... It's found in 1 Corinthians 13:4-8

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------


So honestly I think that is a good idea on how to look at someone you "love". Do they match up to all of those things? 


I have been blessed to have my girlfriend Gabe in my life. I prayed her into my life. After I had decided I wasn't going to go out looking for a relationship, I started praying. You may roll your eyes and think that is a stupid idea. But really, the bible also says in Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." If you wait, and let God take care of your relationships, and live for Him.. He will give you what He thinks is right.


Back to Gabe. Don't get me wrong, just because God gave me a relationship, doesn't mean it's perfect. We still have disagreements. But that's because we are humans, but we do a very important thing... it is something you won't find in cosmo, or in the latest dating website... wanna hear it?... drumroll please... duh duh duh duh duh DUH!.... we forgive each other and move on. Wow.. it sounds simple.. sometimes it's not. But we make a conscious effort to move on and forgive each other. It's great. 


I pray that Gabe is in my life forever, it feels unlike anything I have ever felt before. I plan on marrying her in the next few years. I love her so much and think she is amazing. But there is someone I love more than even Gabe.. *record scratches*.. I love God.


He is the one who made all of the good things in my life happen, the rest is my fault because I'm a sinner. We need to look to God, He created us, and He lets us live. You probably heard the old line by Bill Cosby "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out"... that is true with God. He breathed into us, and gave us life... He holds our next breath in His hands and He can just end it if He wants to. We need to love Him above anything or anyone else. 


So here is a short check list of things to do and to ask yourself before getting in a relationship.


#1. Do they love God above anything else?
#2. Do they respect you?
#3. Are their morals good ones?
#4. Are they serious about a relationship?
#5. Pray and ask God what He thinks, then just wait and see what you feel?


So live your life in this way.. Love God, Love Others.... there we go.. simple eh? 


If you have any questions or just want someone to talk to about things... just drop me a line at igtmatt@gmail.com




-Pastor Matt

2 comments:

  1. Really good insight Matthew! What a smart guy my brother is huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good blog hun, I am glad that God saw it fit for us to be together, Love ya!

    ReplyDelete