About Me

My photo
I am a Kid's/Youth Pastor serving at Island Gospel Tabernacle on the beautiful Cape Sable Island. I have an amazing girlfriend, Gabe. I can play pretty much any instrument and if I can't play it I want to learn. I'm a techno-geek.... and ya.. thats it!

18.9.10

When you're dead will your ears be itchy?

You all probably know the old superstition that if your ears are itchy someone is talking about you. I think that's a bit far fetched but I'll go with it and write this blog.

Where my Dad is a Pastor I have had the opportunity to attend a lot of weddings, but even more funerals. There is no one wedding that is the same, they are all unique... same thing goes with funerals.

When you are planning your wedding you are concerned about what people are going to say about you, how the wedding went, how your dress or suit looked, how the food tasted, if you have a creepy 70's wedding singer dressed up with the baby blue frilly suit or not, etc. People can get so consumed with their weddings that they just have an awful time, instead of enjoying the process they are stressed out about money and silly little things. People need to slow down and enjoy themselves.

So many people are so consumed with the little things in life that don't matter, that they miss out on the good things. They get so stressed out that they can't enjoy themselves, and then all of a sudden they wake up and look, and they are old and their life is coming to the end.

I want you to do something before you move on...think to yourself, "Hey what are little things in my life, that won't matter in 5 years that I am getting stressed out about?" ... really.. do that right now. Did you do it? Ok :)

Some funerals that I have gone to have had hundreds of people attending, some have a handful. Like I said earlier, every funeral is unique. But as I am sitting there I look around and sometimes I see family crying, sometimes they just don't care. That is when my brain starts "What kind of life did this person live", "What legacy did they leave", "Are they even going to remember them in a years time".

We need to make sure we leave a legacy for people to remember us by, we may not have our own day on the calender like Martin Luther King Jr. Day, but that doesn't mean we won't have a legacy. Nicole Nordeman penned a song a few years back called "Legacy" and the chorus goes like this...

--------------------------------------------------

I want to leave a legacy 
How will they remember me? 
Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough 
To make a mark on things? 
I want to leave an offering 
A child of mercy and grace who
blessed your name unapologetically 
And leave that kind of legacy


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbi4nSrhRxo

---------------------------------------------------

What will your Legacy be? What will they say about you when you are gone? Will you get consumed by the little things in life or actually live your life for God and have fun? It's completely up to you but I have chosen to try to leave a positive legacy.

James 4:14 says "How do you know what your life will be like tomorrow? Your life is like the morning fog--it's here a little while, then it's gone."


Life is short, you may not live to be 143 like you want to.. so live each day building up your legacy and hopefully when you are dead.. your ears will be itchy :)

1 comment: