About Me

My photo
I am a Kid's/Youth Pastor serving at Island Gospel Tabernacle on the beautiful Cape Sable Island. I have an amazing girlfriend, Gabe. I can play pretty much any instrument and if I can't play it I want to learn. I'm a techno-geek.... and ya.. thats it!

8.9.10

Jesus.. your new "What not to Wear" Fashion Expert

"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight." (1 Peter 3:3-4)

Ok ok ok...... ok.. This blog may get me on the bad side of some people who read my blog but it has to be said. Sometimes just because a piece of clothing is in your size, doesn't mean you should wear it! Yes, there is such a thing as "too" low cut, "too" tight, "too" small & "too" just plain old wrong. There is nothing wrong with dressing up or anything like that, but this verse is really meaning that we need to be more concerned with our insides rather than the outs.

I think so many times instead of just being ourselves, we are trying to fit in with the dudes, divas, movie stars and singers... so we will dress and act very inappropriately.

"Whoa whoa whoa, wait Pastor Matt... you said dudes and divas... I thought you were just talking about girls??"

Oh no, for a perfect (and funny) answer to this, I look to 2010's first internet sensation General Larry Platt who sings...

"Pants on the Ground, Lookin' like a fool
With your pants on the Ground
With the gold in your mouth
Hat turned sideways
Pants hit the ground"

Guys can fall into the same trap of not dressing modestly. I'm sorry but honestly guys we shouldn't have to see your butt or boxers, wear a belt or pull them up.

Our bodies (guys & girls) are the temples of God and we need to remember that. We need to do all things, yes even dress, like Jesus was standing right there. I don't think that you should have to wear head to toe coverings so we don't see you, but I also don't think that we should see how little we can wear without being naked. You need to find a good in between.. nobody can tell you how to dress, except for your parents, but I think you should take the first step yourself. You will find that you will feel better about yourself, and you will have more self confidence.

"The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." (Taken from 1 Samuel 16:7)

To God, there is a complete acceptance of people regardless of what they wear or what they look like, and He will love you no matter what. But I think the Lord would be pleased with you if you dressed like He was standing there. I think we would all laugh and be embarrassed if I decided to start dressing in clothes that were too tight and very revealing, because I'm the Youth Pastor. But the same should go for you, you are part of the Body of God.

Many people spend countless hours each week maintaining their outward appearance; we should all do more to develop our inner character. While everyone can see your face, only you and God know what your heart really looks like.

If you ever need to talk about anything my email is igtmatt@gmail.com, gimme a shout!


-Pastor Matt


2 comments: